Neglected Tropical Diseases
Neglected Tropical Disesases (NTDs), also known as diseases of poverty, are defined by the World Health Organization as "a diverse group of communicable diseases that prevail in tropical and subtropical conditions." These diseases communities in both the developed and the developing world. They affect more than one billion people cost billions of dollars every year. Despite their impact, they are often overlooked as a major disease problem. Below you will find some of the most recent, high quality articles on this topic:
- Hotez, PJ, Fenwich, A., Ray, SE., Hay, SI., Molyneux, DH. (2018). "'Rapid Impact' 10 years after: The first 'decade' (2006-2016) of integrated neglected tropical disease control." PLoS Neglected Tropical Disease, 12(5): e0006137
- Valenzuela, JG., Aksoy, S. (2018). "Impact of vector biology research on old and emerging neglected tropical diseases." PLoS Neglected Tropical Disease, 12(5): e0006365
- Booth, M. (2018). "Chapter Three - Climate Change and the Neglected Tropical Diseases." Advances in Parasitology, 100: 39-126
- Reed, SL, McKerrow, JH. (2018). "Why Funding for Neglected Tropical Diseases Should Be a Global Priority." Clinical Infectious Diseases, 67: 323-326
- Fitzpatrick, C, Bangert, M, Mbabazi, PS, Mikhailov, A, Zoure, H, Rebollo, MP, Correia, MR, Biswas, G. (2018). "Monitoring equity in universal health coverage with essential services for neglected tropical diseases: an analysis of data reported for five diseases in 123 countries over 9 years." The Lancet Global Health, 6(9): e980-e988.
- Sato, MO, Sata, M, Yanagida, T, Waikagul, J, Pongvongsa, T, Sako, Y, Sanguankiat, S, Yoonuan, T, Kounnavang, S, Kawai, S, Ito, A, Okamoto, M, Moji, K. (2018). "Taenia solium, Taenia saginata, Taenia asiatica, and their hybrids and other helminthic infections occuring in a neglected tropical diseases' highly endemic area in Lao PDR." PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 12(2): e0006260.
- Molyneux, DH, Dean, L, Adekeye, O, Stothard, JR. (2018). "The changing global landscape of health and disease: addressing challenges and opportunities for sustaining progress towards control and elimination of neglected tropical diseases (NTDs)." Parasitology: 1-8.
- Hotez, PJ, Damania, A. (2018). "India's neglected tropical diseases." PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 12(3): e0006038.
- Madon, S, Malecela, MN, Mashoto, K, Donohue, R, Mubyazi, G, Michael, E. (2018). "The role of community participation for sustainable integrated neglected tropical diseases and water, sanitation and hygiene intervention programs: A pilot project in Tanzania." Social Science & Medicine, 202: 28-37.
- Minet, C, Thevenon, S, Chantal, I, Solano, P, Berthier, D. (2018). "Mini-review on CRISPR-Cas9 and its potential applications to helping controlling neglected tropical diseases caused by Trypanosomatidae." Infection, Genetics and Evolution, 63: 326-331.